Puget Sound Beekeepers Association was founded in 1948 with about 20 members and incorporated February 29th, 1952. PSBA Articles of Incorporation
History of Club Meeting Places
Until 1971 – Technocracy Hall, University of Washington
Until 1972 – Parkington Hall, University of Washington
Until 1976 – Glazer’s Bottling Works
1976 – Museum of History and Industry
Until 1984 – National Guard Armory
1985 – Northwest and Alaska Fisheries Building
Today – Graham Visitor Center, Arboretum
Member Contributions to PSBA’s History:
Key and Charles Parrish were charter members.
Key Parrish was Treasurer for 33 years.
Carl ‘Cap’ Moen
Joined the club in 1954. Taught beekeeping for many years. Started swarm control committee service. Maintained Arboretum hives for 20 years. Donated 25% of honey money to club.
Some of Cap Moen’s contributions:
1956 – Donated Observation hive to Woodland Park Zoo.
1958 – Helped establish Arboretum Bee Garden. Club had about 100 members at this time.
1980 – Credited with having 1,118 swarms, sending 1,138 to others in 25 years.
* Wrote numerous articles for Gleanings and American Bee Journal and other publications
* Authored Club’s newsletter for over 15 years
* Increased Club membership to over 200
* Started club pollination of Bellevue Blueberry Fields in 1968
* State Apiary Inspector for 5 years
* Started state fair Bee Booth exhibit
* Arranged for American Beekeeping Federation meeting in Seattle in 1981 – sponsored by PSBA
Gene Graff started Silverboro Honey
Cary Crucas started honey company in Issaquah
Jim Bach State Apiary Inspector and started Northwest Bee Supply
Cal Shorts donated land to Bellevue Parks
Bob Clark, Mariam Bishop, Bob Zahler state Bee Association presidents
Mariam Bishop, Bob Clark and Van Sherod have taught Begining Beekeeping for 25 years of the Club’s 57 years of existence.
June Aploks got us back into the arboretum for meetings in the late 1990′s.